Characteristic of the route:
Effort: medium moderate
Route: Mixed, first part in vehicle 4x4, then by boat and walks
Characteristic of the traveler: People with good physical condition accustomed to walk more or less 3 hours daily
Condition of the land: soft wavy land
Daily distances: 3 km.
Humidity average: 85%
Temperature average: 30 degrees centigrade
Size of the group: 12 people maximum
Round trip transportation from Flores to Paso Caballos Community
Round trip boat ride from Paso Caballos-Biological Station-El Peru-Paso Caballos
Lodging at the Biological Station
All meals (1 breakfast, 2 lunches, 1 dinner, purified water)
Tour to the archaeological site El Perú
Nighttime Aquatic excursion
Indigenous communitarian tour guide
English speaking tour guide (Optional)
First aid kit
- Arrival to the community of Paso Caballos, we will board a boat that will carry us through the San Pedro River to the EBG (aprox.30 minutes).You will be received by the EBG staff and they will give an introduction on the activities of the station, solid waste management, research programs, conservation and social projection. (Approx. 1 hour).
- 2:30 the research program of the butterflies of the EBG starts with duration of 2 hrs approximately.
- 16:30 hrs,
Jungle Trek: The walking trails starts where you will learn about plants and their uses in traditional medicine, food and timber, the tour ends in the Scarlet Macaw`s lookout, where we can watch the sunset and a breathtaking view of the San Pedro river and the largest wetland in Mesoamerica.
Nighttime Aquatic excursion: Explores the stream Sacluc, our experienced guide accompanies us for the nighttime aquatic tour. With the support of a flashlight, our guide illuminates the nighttime creatures that live here, including the crocodile petenero ( Cocodrylus moreletii ), bats, birds and more.
- Dinner: Time to share with the staff of the EBG.
- 6:00 am. Breakfast
- 7:00 am. We will board our boat for a tour to the archaeological site El Peru, where we will visit the archaeological complex and the monkey’s lookout.
- During the trip we will enjoy this fantastic landscape and wildlife of the biological station and El Peru Archaeological Site.
- 13:00 Back to the EBG
- After lunch we will aboard the boat at Rio San Pedro towards Paso Caballos.
- From Paso Caballos we will take the minibus to your hotel.
Thanks for your visit!
Ask to your travel planner about our travel insurance choices.